Sunday, October 18, 2009

I've Got Burned


I really don't have any talent in cooking and I really hate the part when you have to fry something and noticed that it's becoming overcooked, smell bad and annoying smoke comes out, all signs of overcooking. Usually when this event happens I really don't know what to do and just try to turn the food on the other side. But every time, odd thing happens.

This time, the pork popped. It was a deep fry so the very hot oil just burned my right hand and mostly between my ring and pinky. As a nurse instinct, I just get a cold water and let it run through the burns so the pain would be relieved and swelling be prevented.

After that, I just stopped that damn cooking! I really admit that I don't have any talent when it comes to food. All I know is how to eat. So I think it would be better of that way. hahahha.... Just leave that damn cooking to my parents hahhaha....

Because of this incident, I have some first aid advice for burns.

First thing is you just have to distinguish what type of burn you've gotten. Is it minor or serious one. Minor burn is classified into two, the first degree and the second degree:

  • First degree burn is the least serious burn which usually includes outer layer of the skin. The area usually becomes reddish and sometimes swelling may occur.

  • Second degree burn affects the outer layer of the skin down to the second layer or the dermis. Blisters may develop and the area becomes extremely red. Severe pain can be felt. Minor burns usually have an area of not less than 3 inches if more than 3 inches consider it a major burn and get yourself to a physician for treatment.

For treatment with minor burns:

  • First, you have to cool the area. Flush the area with cool water for at least 3-5 minutes. There are some beliefs that flushing the burn with water may cause swelling. Well, swelling is a natural process especially if it is a second degree burn.
You have to flush it with cold water to decrease the pain and prevent further swelling.

  • Next is you have to put a sterile gauze at the top of the burned area, this will prevent exposure to bacteria and prevents infection.

  • If the pain is still present, you may use over the counter analgesics.

Minor burns majority will heal itself but it may leave pigmentations on the skin. If infection occurs, you have to seek medical advice.

For third degree burns, usually they are painless. It involves the fats, muscles and even the bones. If this happens, always check the safety of the patient, check if the person is having difficulty of breathing cause he may be exposed to smoke from fire. After securing the person, you have to seek medical attention immediately.

Hope these could be a great help.

1 comment: