Thursday, October 15, 2009

Korean Language 101


I was surfing the web almost two weeks ago when I was hit by an idea to study another language. At first, I thought, why not study Japanese since it could also be a great help for me if I consider working there. But suddenly, while i was in a chatroom, I encountered a Korean linguist wanna be. I started to chat him and there it goes, my interest on their language follows.

What made me become interested much is how this guy values his culture, his native language and the love for his country. His words has depth and I noticed that he is intelligent, plus his English is great so we can talk with much ease so I took the chance of asking him to teach me Korean language.

I know that it will be hard to study their language since they have a different way of forming their sentences. Unlike English which can be translated into Filipino easily, Korean is not that easy to translate, their sentence structure sometimes varies with the way English and Filipino words are made. But this is what I like, CHALLENGE! Hahaha so I'll give it a shot.

It's great that his English is great, we were able to study using English as our main form of conversation. Oh I forgot, my Gyosonim's (professor) name is Kwang Min. He is great when it comes to teaching.
While teaching me Korean, I also teach him Filipino words, but I'm kinda poor when it comes to grammar and so I'm having a hard time teaching him Filipino, it's good that he is a great student too. So he email or buzz my messenger every time he is available for some lesson and it's really great to experience someone's language and laugh everytime someone made a mistake using your language or vice versa.

some of the few words I always use:

annyeonghaseyo = good morning/afternoon/evening
= magandang umaga/hapon/gabi
kaenchanayo = alright
= mabuti/ayos(informal)
Mi An = Sorry
= patawad (paumanhin)
kamsahamnida = thank you
= maraming salamat
Chon man Hae yo = you're welcome
= walang anuman
Ne = Yes
= Oo
Aniyo = No
= Hindi
Annyong
Hashimniga = Hello
= Kamusta
Annyonghi kaseyo= goodbye (if you will say it to someone that is leaving)
= paalam
Beer = Maekchu
= alak
Chonun
Ruel Apostol
Himnida = My name is Ruel Apostol
= Ang pangalan ko ay Ruel Apostol
Saengil chukna
hamnida = Happy Birthday to you
= Maligayang bati sa iyo
Good = Chosumnida
= mabuti

those are some of the few words i know right now. I don't know when will I try to study the grammar I just want to get myself familiarize with the words first and if I like it, I'll pursue this.


2 comments:

  1. hahahhaha... annyeong haseyo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't worry you can learn it with ease. Just practice, it takes time to learn things and just be patient. Everything will be alright I know you can do it!

    ReplyDelete